“Carrie” sets the stage on fire for this year’s musical

Photo by Genevieve Canning(10)

One of the many posters for this year’s musical.

Story by Bri Hernandez, Sports Editor

Redwood Hall at Mission Hills is typically the host of joyful music and dance performances, but this spring it has been transformed to tell a tale of horror. The drama department is sure to cause a fright as they perform their musical adaptation of Stephen King’s “Carrie.”

“I’m excited to see ‘Carrie’ because I have seen the effort people in theatre have put into it. This production has so many moving parts that I want to see how they will pull it off and put it all together. I’m also really excited to see my friend shine on the stage,” Abigail Barnett (9) said. 

“Carrie” is a drama thriller that follows the story of Carrie White; a shy, unpopular, mistreated, and strange teenage girl who is slowly driven insane by her cruel peers. Unbeknownst by her high school peers and mother, Carrie develops mysterious telekinetic abilities. When Carrie can no longer withstand her growing torment and hatred for her bullies, things can’t end well. 

“I think that the story is so intriguing because it’s really a heartfelt story about a girl who is constantly ripped on by her entire town. It’s really a classic, everyone knows ‘Carrie.’ It’s really emotional, and by the end of it you really understand how negativity can affect someone,” Lance Holmes (12) said. 

The school’s drama department has been working on their performance, costumes, special effects, props, choreography, and sets since before winter break. With rehearsals almost every day after school, the family-like team has bonded immensely and worked extremely hard over the past three months. To say they are excited for their family, friends, and fellow Grizzlies to see them take on “Carrie” would be an understatement. 

“It’s kind of a grind to memorize lines, blocking, going home every night after rehearsals and repeating. It’s stressful, but it’s fun. This show, it’s coming together and looking really nice. I think a lot of people are going to enjoy it,” Tristan Murphy (9) said. 

Opening night for the show is Thurs. March 12 starting at 7:00 p.m. It will also be available for viewing this Friday at 7:00 p.m. and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. Tickets will also be available at the doors: $18 for adults, $15 for students, $13 with ASB, and free for Mission Hills staff members.