Pineda leaps into the highschool experience

Photo by Joseph Kamandy

Xiomara Pineda continues her passion for dance into her high school career.

Story by Alyah Ochoa, Staff Writer

To escape the ups and downs of high school, one may rely on many forms of comfort. For Xiomara Pineda (9), solace is found through the art of dance. 

Dancing for four years and watching the MHHS dance team’s intricate and captivating choreography pushed Pineda to take a step further and try out for high school dance. Xiomara’s journey as a dancer began in sixth grade when she joined the Boys & Girls Club team at San Marcos Middle School. Her main inspiration to continue dancing was her coach, Gian Yubane, who led her old team. Yubane has always motivated Pineda to work hard and has directed her to where she is today.

“He inspired me to do so much more than I anticipated. He helped me become a better dancer every day, and I’ve been interested in dance ever since. He pushed me; although it was stressful at times, I always got through it, and in the end it allowed me to improve,” Pineda said.

Throughout the three years of teaching Xiomara, Yubane was impacted as well.

“Xiomara has always been a hard worker. She takes the notes that I give her and she applies them to herself. That’s a sign of a very good way to continue improving. If not in dance, then in life. When it comes to corrections and notes, it’s not just in one ear out the other with Xiomara,” Yubane said.

Xiomara has always been a hard worker. She takes the notes that I give her and she applies them to herself. That’s a sign of a very good way to continue improving. If not in dance, then in life. When it comes to corrections and notes, it’s not just in one ear out the other with Xiomara.

— Gian Yubane

Xiomara hoped dance would be something that could allow her to step out of her comfort zone. Pineda has become a stronger person both mentally and physically and has learned to be more confident in her own skin.

“It’s very opening that most of my team is made up of freshmen. I’ve never felt awkward being surrounded by the team; I’ve also made many connections with my teammates,” Pineda said.