Donate gently used items to drive journalism forward at MHHS

Photo by Salma Ramirez

Donate gently used items to help keep the journalism program alive in the community.

Story by Salma Ramirez, Co-Editor in Chief

Are you looking for an opportunity to declutter your home and get rid of items you no longer need or want? The Silvertip invites you to contribute to a donation drive that will start on Monday, June 3 and continue until the end of the school year. Students will be granted community service hours for their efforts. For every three items donated, students will receive one hour of community service. In order for items to be eligible for donation, you must refer to our rules below.

Rules:

1. Gently used clothing must be clean and in good condition.
  2. Books with missing pages or serious damage may not be accepted.
  3. Shoes must be clean and without holes or excessive wear.
  4. All kitchen appliances, radios, clocks, etc. must be in working condition.
  5. Games must have all necessary items to play: board, cards, tokens, etc.
  6. Art/school supplies must be in working condition and nearly full or new.
  7. Movies, CDs, VHS tapes, etc. can not be excessively scratched or damaged and must be in working condition.
  8. Socks and undergarments must be new/unused.
  9. Hygiene and beauty/hair products must be new/unused.
  10. All decor and furniture must be in good condition.

This is a great opportunity for graduating seniors and upperclassmen to donate unwanted review books, athletic uniforms or gym clothing, and Grizzly spirit wear. All students, staff, and Grizzly families are welcome to participate! The proceeds made from the series of rummage sales will help fund the printed newspaper, the website, and the trip to Washington, D.C. for the annual Journalism Education Association convention. Without the help of the community, the journalism class will not be able to afford the costly plane tickets and hotel accommodations for the trip. For more information, please contact the journalism class in room 505 or leave a comment below.